While riding north of Dahlonega Georgia on those twisty turning mountain roads that I just love, I made a stop at a gas station for an ice cold drink. I pulled the 750 up to the front and parked it in line with a bunch of Harleys, a Triumph, and a few Suzuki’s. On exiting the gas station, all the riders were standing around shooting the bull and laughing. One spoke up “your Honda is leaking oil” at that point I stated that this was an ironic situation, I mean with all the Harleys lined up and the Honda is the only one leaking oil. That is when an old biker who just happened to be sitting on a Harley piped up “well, at least you know it will start”. We all laughed and parted ways.
This got me thinking about the oil mark that many motorcycles leave. I have never owned a bike that did not leak oil at one time or another. From the BSA and all my other bikes, the oil leak is just a mark of distinction. I started thinking of the positive aspect of the oil leak and made a small list:
1. Marks your parking spot.
2. Keeps passengers off your passenger seat. One gent I spoke with picked up his girlfriend on his old Ironhead. When she got on, those nice white pants were so clean, when she got off, the left leg had a nice oil stain on it. Boy was she pissed.
3. A quick finger dip in the oil and you can lube the pivot point on that Buck knife you carry on the side. Matter of fact you can oil down the blade, find a rock and sharpen it if it needs an edge.
4. Hardcore bikers will reach down and dab their finger in the oil and coat those wind-blown chapped lips.
5. The oil also works well on reconditioning the tips of your boots when you scuff them up. If you have a rag then you can make those dust covered biker boots look brand new (almost).
But there are many who just don’t like oil leaks. Well let’s determine what an oil leak really is. I learned from working for Uncle Sam in the USMC as a mechanic that oil leaks came in 4 categories.
1. The least was called “seepage”. An area that is moist or damp with no drip.
2. A “small leak” which was a drip, maybe worse case one drop every 5 minutes. This kind of leak you kept an eye on and repaired it when you got extra time, or when it just got worse because who has extra time.
3. Then there was “The leak” which was dripping more than a small leak. This kind of leak was required to get fixed as soon as possible. Take the vehicle off line and repair it.
4. Then every now and then you had the “Oh Sh**t” leak. This leak was the one you just packed up your bedroll, hid the vehicle and came back with a wrecker in a few days.
So now that we have an oil leak, we know what kind of oil leak we have, let’s do an on the road oil leak fix to keep you going to your destination. (maybe further).
If you have seepage and you are worrying about it, you think too damn much. Wipe it off and get back on the road. If it wipes off on your chaps, good. It will make them look salty and used.
A small leak can really get on your nerves. This is a leak that you may get from a valve cover gasket, or a casing gasket. When you ride it will slowly make its way down and toward the back of your bike. Again it will give your chaps a good used look, and keep passengers with white pants off your passenger seat.
But if it really irritates you, do this. Get a tube of Permatex gasket maker, the thick nasty brown stuff. Take a rag and wipe the gasket area off good. I will sometimes use alcohol and get it super clean. I do this when the bike is cold. I then take the Permatex paste and press it into the gasket leakage area. I do this for about an inch before and an inch after the leaking area. Don’t try to make it pretty, it’s an oil leak. Let the Permatex dry and you will be amazed....no more leak. This works for both “small leaks” and “The leak” leaks.
I have done this on my 92 CB750 valve cover gasket seal. On these bikes the seal has a half moon, two on each side. These things always leak. I have done the above and completely eliminated the leak. Now I know I still need a new seal, but I can ride the bike until winter when I want to work on it rather than ride it.
RAGS REPORTS 123
- Crossroads Home
- Crossroads Crew
- Advertising Media Kit
- Crossroads Calendar
- Contact Crossroads
- CrossroadsMotorcycleCrew.com Magazine - Current and Back Issues
- Crossroads April 2015 Issue 127>
- Contos' Crossroads 127 Code Of The Road
- Daytona Bike Week 2015
- Midwest Motorcycle Madness Capital City Custom Cycle Show & Swapmeet 2015
- Photography By Pulsating Paula The Early Stuff
- Mickey's Tiki Wednesday Bike Nights
- Keepin' It Sideways AHRMA Dirt Track De Leon Springs
- On The Road Again
- At The Crossroads 127
- Watson's Swap Meet - Canton, Georgia
- Spring Has Sprung with Red Sonja
- Motorcycle Helmets
- Space Coast HD & Wounded Warrior Project Presented Veteran Brian Torres a 2015 Harley
- Crossroads Chronicles 127 NCOM News Bytes Worldwide Motorcycle News
- Crossroads March 2015 Issue 126>
- Contos' Crossroads 126 What a year it's been
- Terry Nails' Fab 45
- Southern Rock Society Band Opens For Molly Hatchet in Davie, FL
- Crossroads Flashback - Roscoe's Ole Tyme Harley Drags
- Gabe's Pan American Fun Raiser at Mickey's Tiki
- Rags Reports On Tires
- Manni Luca's Tuscany Deuce
- Pulsating Paula Remembers Bike Week
- Red Sonja 126 So Hard To Say Goodbye
- American Legion Post 1, Brevard County, FL February Bike Day
- Watson's Motorcycle Garage - Canton , GA
- Crossroads Chronicles 126 - NCOM News Bytes
- Crossroads February 2015 Issue 125>
- Contos' Crossroads 125
- Miserable George's Flashbacks - Daytona Beach Bike Week
- Miserable George's Flashbacks - Tropical Tattoo Chopper Time Old School Chopper Show
- Renegade Reunion
- Will Scott's Obsession
- SE ABATE Semi-Annual Motorcyclists Rights Rally at Mickey's Tiki Bar
- Photography by Pulsating Paula 125
- A Run For Homeless Vets
- Georgia Chili Cook Off 2015
- Donna Family Benefit
- Flathead Power
- Winter Blues & Tattoos with Red Sonja
- Jackets by Frank "Rags" Rago
- ...At The Crossroads 125
- Tattoo Marty
- Crossroads Chronicles 125 - NCOM Biker Newsbytes
- Crossroads January 2015 Issue 124>
- Contos' Crossroads 124
- SOA Wrap Party with The Harley Twins
- 29th Annual Roscoe's Chili Challenge by Miserable George
- 29th Annual Roscoe's Chili Challenge 2014 by Contos
- SFPC's 27th Annual Toys In The Sun Run 2014
- Manic Depression
- Happy 80th Birthday Miserable George
- Photography by Pulsating Paula 124
- Brevard County ABATE Toy Run 2014
- Corpsman Up!
- Medical Marijuana Exhibit A - Confessions Of An Old Hippie Pothead
- Wintering With Red Sonja
- Bikes & Blades
- Mickey's Tiki Bar
- Crossroads Chronicles 124 - NCOM Biker Newsbytes
- Crossroads November 2014 Issue 123>
- Contos' Crossroads 123
- Love Ride 31 with The Harley Twins
- Strokers Dallas 18th Anniversary Party
- Chopper Time at Willie's Tropical Tattoo
- Double Nickels
- Ed's Saga Continues...
- Venice Vintage Motorcycle Rally 2014
- Breast Friends Of Florida Run
- Natanic's Pre-Unit Triumph Survivor
- Halloween Haunt 2014 at Mickey's Tiki Bar
- Photography by Pulsating Paula 123
- A Biker For All Seasons
- Falling On The East Coast
- 34th Annual Spooks & Scoots 2014
- Rags Reports 123 The No Freak, Oil Leak Squeak On The Cheap
- Saints Motorcycle Ministry - Wind Rider Church
- Crossroads Chronicles 123 - NCOM Biker Newsbytes
- Crossroads October 2014 Issue 122>
- Contos' Crossroads 122
- Dee Snider Ride To Fight Hunger On Long Island 2014
- Phil Peterson's 42nd Key West Poker Run 2014
- Motorcycle Cannonball 2014
- Bike Time 2014 Muskegon Michigan
- Natanic Ritual
- At The Crossroads 122
- Have A Miserable Biketoberfest>
- Crossroads Motorcycle Music
- Dishing Up A Slice Of New York With Chef Joel 122
- Ed Got The Itch To Ride
- Pulsating Paula Pulsates Crossroads 122
- US Military Vets Reunion
- Peace Girl
- Crossroads Chronicles 122 - NCOM Biker Newsbytes
- Rags Reports 122
- Red Sonja Rides 122 It's Not The Destination
- Support Our Boys
- Roscoe's Chili Challenge Is Almost Here
- Crossroads September 2014 Issue 121 >
- Contos' Crossroads 121>
- G-Runs 121
- Rags Reports 121
- Red Sonja Rides - The Wave 121
- Chief Road Dog's Top 10 121
- Valgal's Good Vibrations 121
- Sturgis 2014
- Roscoe's Chili Challenge
- Hollister 2014 Rally
- Leesburg Bikefest 2014
- Harley Rendezvous
- Spooks & Scoots
- Destination Helen
- 19th Annual South Florida Tattoo Expo
- 911 Tribute Harley
- Ride Nasty
- Peter Kent The Real Terminator
- Hollister Powersports Grand Opening
- Peterson's Harley-Davidson Father's Day Hot Rods and Harleys 2014
- Crossroads Chronicles - NCOM Biker Newsbytes 121
- Crossroads April 2015 Issue 127>